Actuarial and Investment Graduate Programme
About the role – Main Duties and Responsibilities
As a Graduate you will work with our team to create a personal development plan in order to support your development in the company and the industry. A structured training plan will help you grow your knowledge and drive your career. As part of your training, you will be given the opportunity to be exposed to all aspects of our Business acquiring a breadth of knowledge and experience that will enable you to become a credible and an effective Actuarial and Investment professional.
In support of our Actuarial and Investment team, you will contribute to a wide range of work within the pensions sector, incorporating the provision of advice and technical support to the Trustees and Sponsoring Employers of pension schemes, as well as our work with the Pension Protection Fund and Charity/Not for Profit organisations. This provides the opportunity to enhance your technical abilities and develop core actuarial competences on a daily basis whilst working in a challenging environment as part of a rapidly growing, innovative pension consulting firm. You will liaise with colleagues throughout our office locations and work on clients from a diverse range of industries.
We are particularly keen to welcome applicants on relevant degree courses but who have not studied actuarial/investment subjects to date, and see this as an opportunity to develop their skills/knowledge and gain professional qualifications in a working environment.
As part of our Actuarial and Investment team, you will:
- Help provide a client service that is proactive, timely and fully focused on the needs of the client and maintains the excellent reputation that has been established by our impressive team
- Be encouraged to use your creativity and critical thinking to come up with tailor-made solutions to unique problems
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills through regular interaction with clients
- Be trained on the use of our bespoke in-house software, Mantle®, to assist you to consider the risks to our clients and develop appropriate solutions that meet our clients needs
- Learn how to prepare actuarial and member benefit calculations, creating actuarial models to address a diverse range of client requirements
- Assess the impact of changing demographics or legislation on pension schemes and the effects that changes in financial markets have on different organisations
- Carry out stochastic Asset Liability Modelling to advise clients on their investment strategies and then assess the performance of these strategies
- Draft reports and presentations to clients in support of their decision making in managing their pension scheme arrangements
- Support our work with the Pension Protection Fund as a member of it’s Specialist Administration and Actuarial Services Panel
- Perform in accordance with financial targets and standards; time recording, budget monitoring, billing and all other aspects of financial management
Key Criteria – Essential
- A honours degree at 2:1 level or above in a relevant subject
- A Levels – Grade A or equivalent in Mathematics
- At least 5 GCSE’s to include Mathematics and English at Grade A or above
- Excellent IT Skills and fully competent in Microsoft packages, e.g. Word and Excel, with an aptitude for learning other systems
- Experience of working proactively and using your own initiative to complete tasks
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to display a keen interest in the industry and environment in which we operate
- Work Experience or Placement in a Professional Services environment.
Behavioural Competencies for the Role
Inspiring Leadership, Strategic Thinking, Impacting & Influencing, Client Engagement, Collaborative Working, Problem Solving, Planned Approach, Professional Approach
Salary & Benefits Package
If you are successful you will receive a salary of £22,000 per annum plus additional amounts to reflect examination exemptions you have achieved to date, and a competitive benefits package outlined on our careers page.
To find out what our previous graduates say about this programme please check our Graduate Brochure.
Closing Date for the role 28 February 2020, interviews for shortlisted candidates will be held between 12 and 27 March 2020.
We may close recruitment and proceed with candidate selection earlier than 28/02/2020 if there is high volume and quality of applications.
Spence & Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.