Assistant Project Manager
Spence & Partners (Spence) was established in 2000 and is a privately owned UK firm of actuaries, pension consultants, pension scheme IT specialists and administrators. We are part of an integrated group of companies that includes Dalriada Trustees Limited (Dalriada) a leading independent trustee company, and Mantle Services Limited, a pension software supplier, operating from offices in, Belfast, Birmingham, Bristol, Glasgow, Manchester, Leeds and London, and with clients throughout the UK and Ireland.
Having already achieved impressive growth in our business internally and externally, we are in a period of significant change which is providing opportunities to further increase business growth. This presents an exciting opportunity for a Support Project Manager to join our Company to support the Project Management Office (PMO) team and develop their project management skills in a business environment.
The business is based on a culture which aims to provide all our clients with a high-quality professional service through strong personal relationships. We take a hands-on approach to our primary business role of client management by developing innovative solutions. We don’t pigeonhole colleagues and aim to provide challenging and interesting work, which will allow the successful candidate to build a rewarding career.
About the role
The Project Management Office (PMO) supports our group of businesses through the management of programmes and projects for our business and clients, ensuring change, quality and continuous improvement.
Reporting to one of our experienced Project Managers, the purpose of this new role will be to assist and support the Project / Programme Managers and PMO across multiple projects and programmes. It offers an excellent opportunity to showcase your skills and to gain further experience in a challenging and rewarding environment.
The Assistant Project Manager will:
- Apply their knowledge of best practices and be responsible for PMO administration, documentation and support.
- Assist with the production of project plans, monitor and track delivery against plans and agreed budgets and co-ordinate regular reporting.
- Monitor, track and follow-up on actions / tasks /open items, track risks and issues and assist with progress reporting.
- Meet PMO objectives, deadlines and targets by working closely with the Project and Programme Managers in an effective, timely and professional manner.
- Support the PMO to share learning and project management skills across our businesses
This role requires a methodical approach with an eye for detail and superb organisational skills.
The successful candidate will work collaboratively with colleagues across a multi-site business, to ensure the timely and high-quality delivery of our projects and programmes.
The role will be attractive to a someone with at least 2 years hands on experience in a similar role, who is keen to develop his/her career in project management by supporting the continued development of our project management office, as well as the projects and programmes within our successful businesses.
You must have knowledge of project management methodologies and experience of managing projects would be beneficial.
We are looking for someone who wants to work as part of a team, who is a multi-tasker, can adapt easily to changing circumstances, and ideally has experience of working collaboratively with diverse audiences.
You will be eager to work hard and make an impact, self-motivated and proactive in your assistance to meet the needs of our projects and programmes. You are reliable, methodical and can easily adapt to changing circumstances, continuously producing high level quality work. You will be detail-orientated and IT proficient in all Microsoft packages. Analysing and solving problems related to projects is what you are good at and love to do.
An excellent communicator (written and spoken skills), you will be able and willing to interact at all levels within a busy and thriving office environment. You will be aware of the importance of maintaining confidentiality and integrity at all times, in respect of the sensitive nature of the business
Essential Professional Experience & Knowledge
- Educated to A-Level /Scottish Highers or equivalent with the equivalent of B’s or above in Maths and English GCSE.
- Professional Project development / management/PMO experience.
- Knowledge of Project Management methodologies.
- 2 years experience in a similar role.
- Experience in executing what the project or programme requires while meeting the competing needs of the business and PMO.
- Excellence in gathering information needed in developing a working project management plan.
- Ability to be proactive and independent and to be interdependent on the teams.
- Excellent communication, organisational and interpersonal skills are essential for this role.
- Use of computerised systems e.g. Microsoft Office products, in particular Excel, Word and PowerPoint and the ability to learn and utilise bespoke systems and procedures.
Desirable Professional Experience & Knowledge
- Degree Educated in a relevant discipline
- Success in a similar role and organisation.
- Experience of Change management in projects.
- Project communication
Behavioural competencies for the role
- Impacting & Influencing
- Client Engagement
- Collaborative Working
- Problem Solving
- Planned Approach
- Professional Approach
Working hours, Monday to Friday, 37.5 hours per week.
A competitive remuneration package is on offer. Our Company is committed to work life balance and our flexi working policy and opportunity for remote working enables individuals to maintain that balance.
The role holder may be required to work across the United Kingdom and may be expected at times to travel.
There is a six month probationary period from commencement of employment.
As part of the pre-hire process the successful candidate will be subject to reference checking security vetting.
We are an equal opportunities employer.