Belfast, although we welcome applications from individuals looking to be based in Glasgow (noting that there would be a significant requirement for travel to Belfast).
We are hiring a Consulting Actuary who wants the opportunity to carve out a successful career and build their network and reputation within an award winning and growing organisation.
You will be seeking an opportunity in which you can own your client appointments and workload and be given scope to accelerate your experience by being involved in complex and challenging schemes and work. You will be prepared to stay ahead of developments within the actuarial and broader business field in a bid to enhance our Business in its widest sense. You will actively participate and support industry events, building a network of professional connections and prospective clients.
You will be committed to the continuous improvement of the business areas and processes in order to enhance effectiveness/efficiency and evolution of the business. You will be an innovative thinker and prepared to work in a flexible environment which seeks out opportunity and improvement.
You will be insightful with the ability to contribute positively to the strategy of the business, a key mentor and influence in leading the actuarial function through progressive change.
We are excited about the future at Spence & Partners (Spence). The industry in which we operate offers a dynamic and challenging environment and our excellent reputation is contributing to the growth of our Business from an expanding portfolio of clients. We have aspirations to extend that client base, and deliver truly integrated solutions, through the use of our highly innovative software platform, Mantle, across our work.
Spence was established in 2000 and is a privately owned UK firm of actuaries, pension consultants, pension scheme IT specialists and administrators. We are part of an integrated group of companies that includes Dalriada Trustees Limited (Dalriada) a leading independent trustee. As such, joining us as a Consulting Actuary will open up opportunities for you to use your actuarial experience to add value on our wide range of clients across the group.
We do not pigeonhole colleagues and aim to provide challenging and interesting work which will allow our staff to build rewarding careers.
About the Role
The Consulting Actuary will provide actuarial services to clients in relation to pension schemes, helping build our presence and exposure across the UK. They will also help provide leadership and direction within the actuarial function as a senior advisor.
The role will provide senior peer review support and will also support the development of less experienced colleagues, providing on the job training and exposure to a range of tasks. They will provide advice and mentor/coach colleagues to deliver high quality work and support the progress of our actuarial students towards qualification.
The role will involve attendance and contribution at client/trustee meetings, internal workflow and team meetings and other ad-hoc meetings with various internal and external individuals and other parties in order to fulfil the responsibilities of the role.
Other aspects of the Consulting Actuary role include:
- Representing the business externally and seek to extend their professional network and assist in winning clients.
- Provision of review and the continuous improvement of business areas to enhance effectiveness/efficiency and evolution of the business.
- Development of general business/finance awareness and keeping abreast of key developments within the actuarial/pension world and general economic and business environment.
- Keeping up to date with legislative changes and requirements’, ensuring documentation and activity is aligned.
- The role holder will be required to travel across the United Kingdom to attend internal and externally meetings.
- A minimum of Associate or Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries with over 5 year’s industry experience. We would equally consider more experienced candidates.
- Experience of managing and providing actuarial services to a portfolio of Trustee and Corporate clients for defined benefit pension schemes.
- Broad industry background, actuarial and pension practice exposure for defined benefit pension schemes.
- Extensive technical understanding of the pensions industry, including the statutory requirements on trustees and pension schemes, pension scheme accounting, company financials, valuation of covenants, The Pensions Regulator (tPR) codes of practice and Pension Protection Fund (PPF) guidance, processes and procedures.
- The candidate holding (or seeking) a Scheme Actuary Practicing Certificate would also be desirable.
Behavioural Competencies for the Role
Inspiring Leadership, Strategic Thinking, Impacting & Influencing, Client Engagement, Collaborative Working, Problem Solving, Planned Approach, Professional Approach.
All individuals are expected to meet the above competencies and be able to evidence how they meet each of them in their role.
37.5 hour week: Monday – Friday.
Location – Belfast, although we welcome applications from individuals looking to be based in Glasgow (noting that there would be a significant requirement for travel to Belfast).
There is a six month probationary period from commencement of employment.
As part of the pre-hire process the successful candidate will be subject to reference checking security vetting.
Spence & Partners is an equal opportunities employer.