We recruit the best individuals with the potential to be the future influencers in our business. We are looking for individuals who are seeking their next challenge and want to continue to develop within a busy and successful organisation. These individuals should be intelligent, innovative and motivated to make an impact which could lead to further opportunities in our award winning organisation. You should be making good progress through your professional exams, with a strong background of experience in a similar role/environment.
You should enjoy solving complex problems for your clients and have an actively developed understanding of the UK pensions industry and the areas affecting it. You will be well organised and proactive, calm under pressure and able to communicate well at all levels (both written and verbally).
You will enjoy working in a challenging environment in which you can develop both personally and professionally. You should be able to demonstrate a conscientious approach to your work and exhibit exceptional attention to detail. You will be an individual who is great at working with people and knows how to interact in a professional environment and can deliver to the requirements of our high performing culture.
You will be commercially astute and aware of issues relevant in the role of a Pensions Actuary and able to deliver to the demands of the changing environment.
We are excited about the future. Our business is growing fast through new client wins and expansion in our current service offerings. Our use of our innovative integrated actuarial, investment and administration pension scheme software platform, Mantle®, across our work is driving us to deliver integrated solutions to our clients.
We are an integrated group of companies that includes Spence & Partners, a firm of actuaries, pension and investment consultants and administrators Dalriada Trustees, a leading independent trustee firm and Mantle, a data management, information security, software development and IT support business which operates in the pensions and financial services industry.
Our culture is embedded in everything we do. Our open-door policy enables employees to communicate regularly with each other at all levels. We believe everyone can contribute ideas, and as a business we actively promote this, both to assist our employees in understanding the added value they can contribute, and to positively contribute to our excellent quality delivery to clients. We believe in empowerment and expect our colleagues to thrive in an environment of ownership where they excel and gain recognition.
About the role
Working within our Actuarial and Investment Function you will be exposed to a wide variety of work and responsibilities within the Pensions and Investments industry:
- Using your pension knowledge and technical skills to deliver a high quality service to our clients on a range of DB pension and investment related issues .
- Taking on a wide-ranging portfolio of work while developing client exposure and essential business skills. Working within the wider multi-disciplinary team, maintaining regular contact with internal colleagues in our other Functions .
- Managing the delivery of multiple projects, ensuring timely completion and adherence to budgets.
- Mentoring and developing less experienced members of the team.
- Using mathematical modelling techniques and statistical concepts to assess risks and analyse statistical data.
- Preparing client communications, presentations and reports, with a high level of attention to detail.
- Effectively and coherently communicate actuarial information, explaining its implications to the wider team and our clients.
- Developing relationships with clients and third parties, including investment managers, financial directors, external stakeholders and third party administrators.
- Adhering to and driving, where relevant, robust governance processes, with policies and procedures implemented and continually reviewed as required.
- Contributing to the growth of our business through the production of tender documentation and assisting with new business pitches.
You will work closely with our Scheme and Corporate actuaries and the Directors of our Business.
- 2:1 or above in a relevant degree
- GCSE and A Level, or equivalent, Maths at grade A or above.
- Excellent experience in a similar role advising clients.
- Making good progress through the Actuarial Professional exams, nearing qualification.
- Ability to demonstrate a track record of excellent client service and a broad knowledge of how UK pensions schemes work.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.Evidence of proactive extra curricular learning and engagement in your chosen career path.
- Excellent knowledge of computerised systems e.g. Microsoft Office/Windows applications, in particular Excel.
Behavioural competencies for the role
Inspiring Leadership, Strategic Thinking, Impacting & Influencing, Client Engagement, Collaborative Working, Problem Solving, Planned Approach, Professional Approach.
You will receive core benefits, pension, private medical insurance, permanent health insurance, life assurance, and access to a range of other benefits including season ticket loans, bike to work scheme, dental insurance, and Childcare Vouchers. Study support will also be available for any relevant professional qualifications.
This will be a full-time permanent role and our working hours are 37.5 hours a week with the requirement to work additional hours as and when required and to facilitate travelling.
The role holder may be required to travel and work as necessary across the United Kingdom working collaboratively with colleagues in all our offices in order to optimise success in this role.
There is a six month probationary period from commencement of employment. As part of the pre-hire process the successful candidate will be subject to reference checking security vetting.
Spence & Partners is an equal opportunities employer.