Senior Investment Consultant – Defined Benefit Pensions
London / Glasgow
As an award-winning and recognised player in the UK Pensions industry, we are currently looking to recruit a senior investment consultant to join our highly successful team.
This individual will be involved in the further growth of our investment consulting and implemented consulting propositions and services which have expanded significantly in the last few years. What will set you apart is your gravitas, tenacity, sound commercial acumen and shared enthusiasm for our Company and our strategic objectives and those of our clients. This role requires an individual with many years experience in a defined benefit investment consultancy.
This role is perfect for an individual with substantial investment experience, who is looking to shape and develop a successful and influential career in a team in which they really can make a difference.
We are looking for a self motivated individual who is eager to work hard and make an impact.
Spence & Partners (Spence) was established in 2000 and is a privately owned UK firm of actuaries, pension and investment consultants, pension scheme IT specialists and administrators. We have over 150 staff across offices in, Belfast, Birmingham, Bristol, Glasgow, Leeds, London and Manchester and clients throughout the UK and Ireland.
We are part of an integrated group of companies that includes Dalriada Trustees Limited (Dalriada) a leading professional trustee, and Veratta Limited, a data management, information security, software development and IT support business also in the pensions and financial services industry.
Our culture is embedded in everything we do. Our open door policy enables employees to communicate regularly with each other at all levels. We believe everyone can contribute ideas, and as a business we actively promote this, both to assist our employees in understanding the added value they can contribute, and to positively contribute to our excellent quality delivery to clients. We believe in empowerment, and expect our colleagues to thrive in an environment of ownership where they quickly excel and gain recognition.
About the role
Reporting to the Head of Actuarial and Investment, you will be expected to deliver in the following areas:
- Carrying out investment strategy reviews including conducting asset liability modelling using our market leading Mantle system.
- Operating as Lead Investment Consultant on the full spectrum of investment consulting activities for defined benefit occupational pension schemes.
- Contributing to the development of innovative approaches to investment strategies for defined benefit occupational pension schemes.
- Supporting the development and maintenance of Spence’s implemented consulting offering.
- Attending regular client meetings to present portfolio positioning advice, investment strategy reviews and performance reviews.
- Drafting and reviewing advice, marketing and strategy documentation on various topics which range from:
- Investment strategy (including conducting ALMs)
- Fund and investment structure
- Governance solutions and manager implementation
- Reviewing and signing-off of performance monitoring reports.
- Reviewing manager research notes and commentary for performance monitoring reports.
- Regularly building your professional network and presence in the marketplace as a contributor in the Pension Industry.
- Engaging in new business activities such as production of tenders, leading new business pitches and responding to new business enquiries.
- Managing, and providing training and support to, junior colleagues. This is an exciting role in an organisation that embraces innovation and development.
Experience & Knowledge Required
- Significant and relevant experience in a similar role (10+ years).
- Demonstrable track record of successfully managing a portfolio of investment consultancy clients.
- Demonstrable track record of contributing to the successful growth of investment consultancy practices.
- Very strong technical investment knowledge.
- Very strong awareness of current defined benefit investment landscape e.g. regulatory issues, knowledge of asset classes and fund managers.
- Creative and analytical approach to solving problems.
- Ability to manage projects to deliver on time and on budget.
- Excellent knowledge of computerised systems e.g. Microsoft Office/Windows applications.
- Excellent written and communication skills which have been tested internally and externally.
- The ability to understand what will add value and what will not and the ability to tailor approach as and when required.
- Experience of providing investment consulting through an investment platform would be advantageous.
- Experience of providing investment consultancy in respect of defined contribution arrangements and experience of fiduciary manager review processes would be advantageous.
- Degree, 2.1 or above in a relevant subject.
- Professional Qualification such as CFA or IFOA. CF30 registered with the FCA and providing FCA Regulated Advice in your current role.
Behavioural competencies for the role
Problem Solving, Credibility, Communication, Client engagement, Leadership, Continuous Learning, Adaptability/Drive.
Location: London or Glasgow
Working hours: Monday to Friday, 37.5 hours per week with additional hours as and when required.
The role holder will be required to work across the United Kingdom and may be expected at times to travel for the delivery of an excellent service for our clients.
There is a six month probationary period from commencement of employment.